Saturday, April 4, 2009

Teenager for Sale-$1 OBO

As mentioned earlier, we blessed Merrick Thanksgiving weekend so that all of our family could be in town. While they (all 17!) were here, my niece, Kayla and I hit it off and we offered her a place to stay to get away from UT and to have a fresh start in a sunny new place. Lots more goes into that, of course, but that's it in a nutshell.

Let me tell you a little bit about her. She is very smart. Gorgeous, a talented singer, and an excellent writer of poetry and lyrics. She's funny, fun, great with her hair and makeup, takes fabulous pictures, makes friends very quickly, and has more common sense in certain areas than people twice her age. She is also very helpful around the house, and good at communicating. Oh, and Merrick LOVES her. But there is one critical detail in this whole story. She's also 17. Which, loosely translated, means that all of these qualities that I adore and love about her are here and then gone in a flash. Then back again. Sigh.

For those of you who are considering adopting a teenager any time soon, allow me to warn you-it's not for the faint of heart. Especially when you've just given birth to your first angelic child. Even more of a risk when you're married to the kindest, most loving and gentle man on the planet who happens to be very confrontation averse. I only recommend taking one on if you are mentally, financially and maritally stable. And you are as tough as nails and okay with establishing and enforcing tough boundaries. And you are okay with sleepless nights and lots of standing your ground. And encouraging your husband to do the same. And encouraging him again and again until you could scream, cry and/or run away. It is also advisable that you be certified in parent/child relationships and communication and trained to pick up on subtle cues and hints when something might be amiss. Perhaps someone who is a tracker or who has a background in private investigation is best. Some other things to consider beforehand is how much you enjoy, hmmm, shall we say "spontaneity" in certain, ummm, areas, if you catch my drift. Or how seriously you take having the ability to go where ever you want when ever you want without worrying that you'll come home to a wild party. In addition a phone plan with unlimited texting is required. Before you decide to commit, please, borrow my teenager and I'll waive the $1 fee.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My friend Warren Jeffs texted me on my unlimited plan and says he'll take you up on your offer. He's actually seriously considering getting a teenager.

Scott and Kim said...

I have been thinking about your situation for some time (Mimi told me about it a while ago). You are in our prayers and you are a strong woman for even offering it! I know my limitations too well in my *old* age, so I won't ever do that...at least not in this lifetime. I hope it gets better for you and your fam!

Los Torrientes said...

Sorry, pedophiles are excluded from the offer. And I appreciate your prayers and support. I love Kayla. Teenagers are just crazy, though... a ver donde estaremos. Am I strong or dumb? Too unaware or ignorant of my limitations? Yes.

J. Cohee said...

Ha Ha you make me laugh! Ya teenagers are a pain... but hang in there... I'm sure you'll be a better parent when your angelic child turns into a teenager!

Barb said...

There is a reason that our children start as infants, as they grow, we learn how to raise them.(hopefully) You are a strong, stubborn(in a good way!) woman, and can do whatever you set out to do, but it can't be easy to jump into "raising" someone kind of near your own age. But blessings will pour. . . Keep the faith!