Monday, February 16, 2009

Halloween

Chewbaca and Leia with the Egyptian gypsy (I look more pregnant in this picture than I really did that night, promise) My cousin Michayle and I have shared a love for Halloween for years. I remember one year while I was attending Chandler Gilbert Community College, I dressed up as the Devil for halloween. I had sexy black pants, a tight red shirt and a red glitter pitchfork and some horns. I have to admit, I was a hot little devil. To my shock, dismay, and slight discomfort, I was the only person with a costume on in sight. Surely someone, a special someone out there shares my love for this sacred occasion of costumes. Nope. Not a soul. I do have to give honorable mention to the girl wearing an orange sweater and spider socks. Nice try, but not good enough to take home a prize. Well, as class let out and streams of "mature", costumeless students were streaming into the hallways and courtyard, I behold a vision. Wearing a short, dark navy blue dress with a star on the front, a gold crown and belt, and red heels, it was none other than wonder woman. There was another person on the planet who was cool enough to dress up. And I mean dress up. This hot girl really knew how to do a costume. I had to go introduce myself. As I got closer, I realized that she was not only cool and hot and dressed up, but she was my COUSIN MICHAYLE! We ran toward eachother, Wonderwoman and Lucy-fer, arms outstreached and swung eachother in circles. Our dramatics were only enhanced and livened up by our mutual love for costumes. After lots of stares and attention (isn't that what we're out for, anyway?), we held hands and skipped into the sunset and lived happily ever after. Mimi has had the privelege, and I the honor of being together nearly each year after that for Halloween, and this year was no exception. She was able to make it for my annual fiesta.
Oh- and Halloween is the first night that Michayle, Brooke, James, Drew, Tiffani and I all hung out together when I had barely turned 14, starting what I'd like to think of as the best friendships teens could ask for. We were at the park on Southern and Pueblo hanging out and later trick or treating (my last real year. I guess I had to move on some time). So Happy Anniversary to my old time besties from Jr. High and High School.
Anyone who knows me knows that Halloween is a sacred holiday to me. I have twice as many Halloween decorations than Christmas, if that tells you anything. It's pretty sick. I own 2 fog machines and more skeletal parts than is normal and healthy. I love costumes, and I love the idea that everyone can dress up and be something creative and different even when they're big kids. Every year, I host the annual Halloween Spooktacular, extravaganza, whatever. We have a little shin dig. It's nothing much, just great friends, some decent food and a nice alternative to ritual animal sacrifice. This year, I was hesitant to plan the party, because of Merrick's due date being early October. I decided that the show would go on, even if I was in labor. He was 3 weeks early, just 4 weeks old when we had the party. Good thing he came early, I had a party to throw. It was pretty low key because I was a little tired. So only 4 boxes of decorations came out this year. Amy Stewart as a classy catwoman, Drew as WHAM. And please, never wear those cutoff jeans again.

I felt like tapping into my cultural heritage this Halloween. I'm wearing a Galevea that we bought while in Egypt (I decided to wear it mainly because it camoflauged my loose baby belly) , Eddy's in his Yassir Afrafat garb. Merrick's got his "Mummy loves me" onsie on. We're really not sure what we were... Joseph and Mary? Islamic Extremists? Obama Supporters? You decide.


We were so glad that the Seth Harris family could join us. He was in the valley from Duncan for nursing rotations. Claudia was dressed up as Seth, he was the nurse from Hell and the adorable boys were cowboys.

Kate Winsor, my good buddy and her Mauri outfit. She totally wishes she was polynesian. This was just before her adorable baby, Wyatt was born.

Katie and Lanny Hogle as America's famous team, Hot dog and Baseball. Cute. Katie wouldn't let go of Merrick all night. And Lanny walked around making comments like, "Hey, quit looking at my Weenie" and "Wanna touch my Wiener?" We love him for that.


My lovely parents, Sarah Palin and Joe the Plumber. They came down to party it up with us and won best couple while they were at it.


Tiffani and Chad flew home from California early to make it to the fiesta. Audrey Hepburn and Joe the other Plumber. His bald head affords a special touch.




My lovely Aunt Liz. She is so much fun and always supportive and helpful for any party or gathering. My mom jokes that I'm more her kid than my mom's.


Doctors, doctors, doctors...


Kim and Scott Lineweaver and the cutest little chicken ever.


Nate and Lauren Cooley. Adorable friends of ours. The Spartans? We guessed that was it.


James Deeave-e-e-er! and whom else, but the "Statue of Libert-e-eah!" (Carlee) Get it? Haha. This great guy is one of my favorite best friends since we were all 14. He made the phrase "Statue of Libert-e-eah!" famous on a trip our high school took when were were Jr.s to NYC. While we were on Ellis Island, looking at none other than the Statue of Liberty, James walks up behind us, smacks Tiffani's leg, slides his hand up to her butt (which defies gravity) and grabs it, while exclaiming in a tone that sounded like he enjoyed it a little too much, "STATUE OF LIBERTY!" People all around looked on in amazement while Tif dropped to the ground in shock and the rest of us dropped to the ground laughing so hard. There you have it for the record. Thank you, my Dear James Douglas Dever.

Ryan really wanted to be David Beckham. I recieved no less than 4 phone calls and emails with pictures to help him nail down the hair and outfit just right. Jenyce, a little worried that she couldn't become anorexic and uber tan in just a week, decided to go as Aunt Jemimah (Ms. Syrup bottle herself) instead of Victoria. I personally think she looked uber tan anyway, she may have gone for the scandalous outfit, but oh well.

4 comments:

Butterfield Family said...

I like your duncan pictures, grandma is so cute

Heath Hales said...

I have to say I am a little hurt that I only found out yesterday from none other Kimbie that you are now bloggin. Also, I noticed that Chewbacca and Princess Leia didn't make the cut for your picture book of the Halloween party. Hmmmm...Maybe I won't call you when I am down...you probably won't answer anyway!

marcie said...

ah hahaha! lanny's comments are still making me and my mom laugh. leave it to a Hogle to say that. You've updated so much since the last time I checked your blog I had a lot to catch up on! Merrick is still the cutest baby I've seen, bring him into work again!

Unknown said...

FINALLY I WAS ABLE TO GET INTO YOUR BLOG!! (It hasn't let me until now. Good grief!) I see that the costumes are getting MOST extravagant as the years progress! Love it!