Monday, May 11, 2009

Sprinkler Surprise!

I love to garden and be outside. Most mornings, I take Merrick with me to pull weeds, talk to my gorgeous grapes on the grapevine, check on Charlotte (our beloved Tortoise) to say "hello", look at the hibiscus opening from the night before, and enjoy nature. A few weeks ago, I went to make sure everything was being watered evenly and found some places looking too dry. So I left Merrick to entertain himself on the grass (a baby who can sit up is my kind of baby!) while I went around the corner to check the drip system's timer box. There are 2 settings for our drip system. One is for the lawn, the other for the plants around the perimeter. I have them labeled "grass" and "plants", respectively. I switched the dial over to "plants", set it for manual timer and turned it on for 10 minutes to give me time to tinker with the valves and make sure water was coming from each spigot. I thought I heard something strange as I came back around the "yard" side of the house. What I saw was this: A very good natured baby boy, smiling in all his soaking-wet glory. I was so surprised by the sight, and even more so that he wasn't crying or upset. I think it's shocking to be assaulted by cold water without warning, even as a grown up who understands that it's not harmful. I think I'm safe to say most babies would have been scared or shocked or something?
Nope, not Mild-Natured Merrick. He just splashed around in it while I ran upstairs to grab my camera, laughing all the while. He loves the water. And apparently he loves surprises, too.

No comments: