Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Great Frozen Yogurt Heist

Embarrassing as this story is to tell, it must be told. Last week, I was walking into Cosmoprof (a beauty supply) just as a good friend of mine... let's call her Brittney J. to protect her identity. No, no that's too obvious, I'll call her B. Jones. Anyway, bumping into each other, we chatted and found out that we were both planning on going to Mesa Frozen Yogurt next door. She was meeting friends, I was just planning on getting a fix. So we went together. Met her friends (they were lovely) and saw that the table behind them had- get this, not one, but two perfect little cups of frozen yogurt, melting onto the table (toppings and all). B. Jones jokingly asks, "Hey- did you get these for us?" to which the friends reply, "No." "Sweet," I say, "It must have been the Three Nephites doing a good deed for us."

Never one to let perfectly delicious frozen yogurt go to waste, nor an opportunity to save a few dollars, I looked at B. Jones, she looked back at me, and we knew it was probably fate, coming together in our best interest. Before indulging, we asked the only girl working that afternoon, if she happened to know who these yogurts belonged to. "Nope, they must have forgotten them, because I haven't seen them". Sweet. Literally. So taking a big bite and licking the melted sides of the yogurt, another, more informed employee appears. "What are you doing?" She asks. "They just went to the bathroom a few minutes ago-" before she could even finish, B. Jones and I freeze, mortified at what we have just done, even more mortified that we were caught, and I say, "Quick, make the exact same ones, quick, right now-" producing the necessary money to pay and trying to speed the girl up. (where was she when we were asking, anyway?!) But before I could finish my sentence, "They" appeared. A lovely mom and her approximately 4 year old son, leaving the bathroom at the back of the store, looking for their dessert. "Oh, my" was all that the mom said, obviously baffled about what she walked out to find (2 grown women, stealing her and her son's yogurt). The boy, looked confused, hurt. I quickly lied, (a practice I abhor and rarely, if ever, engage in. But it seemed the only fitting solution) "Oh, well, we, um, just came here, to, um, meet friends and we, um, thought that they had, bought this for us, so we started eating it and before we knew it the lady said it was yours and we didn't realize til I took a big bite and we're so sorry, and, um, here, we bought you the exact same kind and um, here."

At that, we finished our yogurts (mint with oreos and chocolate with peanut butter cups) and tried not to die of embarrassment/laughter/who-the-heck-do-we-think-we-are?!

All we both really wanted was butterbrickle. Serves us right.

13 comments:

beth said...

oh of course this happened! ha ha bjones or brittneyj she can get you into a pickle every time!

Emily Nicoll said...

that is way too funny! Oh man only you two

Jacob and Meredith Hammond said...

Best story EVER! :-)

Anonymous said...

Only you Heather...that is too funny!

Jason and Kate said...

I am still laughing!

The Eveland's said...

Well written, I felt like I was there laughing at you!!

Jenni Sue said...

Wow Heather! I just BARELY just saw your post on my family's blog...on the post of Mexico at Ash's beach house. (I started that blog to keep up with my extended family's stuff...I haven't kept up!) Anyway, LOVE that pic of you in Mexico. Don't you just love that house?! Anyway, glad to see everything's going well. Your baby is adorable, and you look gorgeous!

ashley wright said...

k, you really are hilarious!!! i wouldve done the same thing (and have actually done the same thing, just never got caught!) youre so funny :) miss you

Robyn and Anthony said...

yogurt stealer! Haha that is hilarious and mortifying! Glad it all worked out in the end :)

Shelley Goodman said...

You have already rubbed off on Brittany!(i mean bjones). I can't say that im surprised by these actions. Ha ha. Hey, free is free I guess!

marcie said...

haha you did not do that!! that is too funny heather I can just picture both of you in that situation you guys are so funny

Tim and Amy said...

okay, that is SO fabulous

and happy bday merrick!

Cami D. said...

Ha ha I just felt awkward for you! That is a GREAT story!